Missouri State University-West Plains will be a national model among two-year, learning-centered institutions, combining open admission opportunity with academic excellence, student service innovation, community partnership, and global awareness in an environment strengthened by dynamic growth and entrepreneurial spirit.
Missouri State University-West Plains is a teaching and learning institution providing quality post-secondary educational opportunities to the communities we serve.
Missouri State University-West Plains is a public, two-year, open admission, separately accredited campus of the Missouri State University System primarily serving students in the Missouri counties of Douglas, Howell, Oregon, Ozark, Shannon, Texas and Wright.
In addition to serving the educational needs of our service area, Missouri State University-West Plains provides programs to:
- areas not served by Missouri’s other two-year institutions;
- selected international campuses where educational opportunities benefit both regional and international students; and
- the global community of students via traditional and emerging technologies.
Educational Program Focus
Missouri State University-West Plains seeks to create educated persons through the development of their skills in communication, critical thinking, information management, values clarification, understanding of a global society, responsible action, and knowledge in core subject areas in four distinct degree programs:
- Associate of Arts degree in General Studies;
- Associate of Arts degree in Teaching;
- Associate of Science degree in Business;
- Associate of Science degree in Nursing;
- Associate of Applied Science degrees and/or certificates in career development:
- Associate of Applied Science degrees in:
- Allied Health
- Child and Family Development
- Computer Graphics and Programming
- General Agriculture
- Law Enforcement
- Respiratory Care**
- Certificates in:
- Basic Business Development
- Law Enforcement
- Small Business Development
- Technology Management
Because of its commitment to learning and service, Missouri State University-West Plains strives through ongoing assessment to:
- improve educational outcomes by evaluating what students know, understand, and can do with their knowledge as a result of their campus experience;
- hosts upper-level courses provided by the Missouri State University System leading to selected bachelor’s and graduate degrees;
- offers informal educational opportunities designed to enhance community life through cultural enrichment programs, regional economic development, and customized training;
- promote extracurricular learning opportunities for students, faculty, staff and community in areas such as intercollegiate athletics and student life and development activities, and a variety of non-credit educational opportunities; and
- develop educated persons of high character and integrity, inspiring them to serve others and their respective communities through its commitment to the Missouri State University System’s mission in Public Affairs.
Goals for Missouri State-West Plains
1. Purposeful Education … Educate students for a lifetime of learning, citizenship, career development and personal enrichment.
2. Enabling Environment . . . Provide for the diverse academic and life-development needs of students through an educational environment conducive to learning, teaching and working.
3. Community Leadership … Facilitate educational, technological, cultural and economic development through activities that complement the learning environment on campus and in the communities Missouri State University-West Plains serves.
4. Collaboration … As an integral entity of the Missouri State University System, develop programs and services in partnership within the System and with other educational institutions that increase and enhance student educational opportunities.
5. Performance … Ensure the highest quality of instruction and institutional effectiveness through assessment, evaluation and planning.
6. Stewardship … Practice good stewardship of human, programmatic and physical resources for the common good of campus and community.
7. Faculty and Staff … Recruit and retain the highest quality faculty and staff by providing competitive salaries and professional development opportunities and by enhancing the personal work-life experience for all employees.
8. Funding … Increase funding from state, federal and private sources to ensure that Missouri State University-West Plains can continue to provide the highest possible quality instruction and services.