Why study honors at Missouri State-West Plains?
The William and Virginia Darr Honors Program (program information) is expressly designed for the student-scholar who enjoys active learning. Interdisciplinary in nature and in focus, the Darr Honors Program strives to foster an educational experience that lays a foundational understanding of the world’s most influential ideas, stimulates creative and critical thinking, and cultivates the growth of a learning community on and off campus and in and out of the program itself.
- Our program fosters a learning environment of interactive and collaborative learning, where your fellow students are just as curious and serious as you are.
- Our program lays an intellectual foundation that will enable you to pursue whatever subject area you choose with excellence.
- Our method is to make you think outside of the box. We stress critical and creative thinking in our joint adventure to pursue truth.
- Our program ‘dovetails’ easily into the Associate of Arts in General Studies degree (as well as most of Missouri State University-West Plains’ other associate degree programs), which allows you to prepare for the career of your choice while also completing the Specialization in Honors.
- Our graduates go on to complete their bachelor degrees at transfer institutions around the country. And, many go on to graduate and professional schools in areas such as law, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, English, teaching, theology, religious studies and the varying areas of business.