Click on the links below for more information.
Prior to the beginning of each academic year, the chancellor of Missouri State University-West Plains will appoint a Campus Safety and Parking Committee that shall exercise authority over campus safety issues, including campus parking. Among other duties, this Committee will review the University parking regulations, and the parking fee and fine schedule. Recommendations will be reported to the chancellor for his or her consideration. The chancellor of Missouri State University-West Plains, or his or her designate, is authorized, and it shall be his or her duty, to establish programs to administer and enforce these parking regulations.
At a minimum, the Campus Safety and Parking Committee will include two faculty members appointed by the Faculty Senate, two staff members appointed by the Staff Senate and two student members (preferably one freshman and one sophomore) appointed by the Student Government Association. The Committee will be chaired by the dean of student services. Members will be appointed annually, but there is no limit to the number of terms an individual may serve.
For campus parking purposes, the responsibilities of the Campus Safety and Parking Committee shall include, but shall not be limited to:
- Recommending regulations governing the conduct of its business including the appointment of and delegation of powers to subcommittees.
- Recommending supplementary regulations to control parking. When such supplementary regulations are approved by the chancellor and/or the Board of Governors, they shall become a part of the Parking Regulations at Missouri State University-West Plains.
- Reviewing and recommending the use of all Missouri State University-West Plains parking lots/structures.
- Reviewing the policies, publications and programs implemented to carry out the responsibilities delegated to the Campus Safety and Parking Committee and making recommendations for the improvement of the safe and efficient use of University facilities where the powers of this Committee are relevant and necessary to effect such improvements.
- Making recommendations regarding intra-campus parking where city owned and controlled streets are used within and contiguous to the Missouri State University-West Plains property areas.
- Recommending parking fees, rates, late payment charges, fines, and an appeals process for violation of the parking regulations for subsequent adoption by the Board of Governors in the annual fee resolution.
- Reviewing and recommending the regulations, applications, issuance, and use of parking permits; and any other regulations needed to control traffic and parking, including appeal procedures.
Parking permits are required for all University lots, day and evening, for the fall, spring and summer semesters and intercessions. Parking on University property is a privilege. Violation of the parking regulations may result in the loss of campus parking privileges.
Use of the University’s parking lot facilities and/or receipt of a parking permit constitute consent to and agreement with the University parking regulations and authorizes University action as described herein.
Finding a legal parking space and displaying a valid permit is the responsibility of the vehicle owner/operator. Registration of a vehicle and purchase of a parking permit does not guarantee a space to park. Lack of space is not justification for violation of University parking regulations.
All students, faculty and staff utilizing University parking lots must display a valid parking tag. A parking tag is available to each Missouri State University-West Plains student during the first week of classes at the business office. However, if additional tags are needed, they may be purchased from the business office. Vehicles not displaying a tag will be regarded as being in violation, and an appropriate ticket will be issued. Other members of the campus community must register their vehicle(s) with the business office, Cass Hall, and obtain a parking tag. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM The telephone number is 417-255-7260.
University personnel and students should not use private parking lots, except as permitted. Vehicles should be parked in University parking lots or on public streets (in compliance with city ordinances). Vehicles found in violation are subject to being towed at the parking lot owner's discretion and the vehicle owner’s expense.
Visitor parking spaces are provided for University visitors only. Visitors may park in these spaces without the requirement of displaying a campus parking permit; however, visitors who park in other spaces must obtain and display a temporary parking permit. Students, faculty and staff will receive tickets if vehicles are parked in a visitor parking space. Disabled parking is available only for vehicles displaying state issued disabled parking permits or license plates. These persons are not required to display a campus parking permit.
- Parking tags are issued on an academic year basis. Display the new academic year parking permit after August 1st prior to the beginning of the fall semester.
- Display the parking tag from the rearview mirror with the design/color facing out, unobstructed.
- Do not leave the parking permit on the dash of the vehicle unless you are displaying a temporary permit.
- Motorcycle permits must be displayed on the front fork. The number must be visible from the front of the motorcycle.
- A parking tag may be used with another vehicle. If the second vehicle is used for more than a week, however, it must be registered with the business office.
- Do not sell, give away or loan parking tags. Persons to whom tags are issued are responsible for any tickets issued to a vehicle displaying those tags.
- Persons who car pool can share the same permit. In the event of a violation, the parking ticket will be charged to the permit owner, no matter who is driving.
- If a parking tag is forgotten for a short time, a temporary permit may be obtained from the business office. The temporary tag may be used for a maximum of three days. Please see the Missing, Lost or Stolen Permits section below for other situations.
- Never park outside of, or across, painted lines.
- Never park in a disabled parking space unless authorized and displaying a state-authorized disabled parking permit.
- Never park on grass or sidewalks.
- Never block a disabled curb cut, crosswalk, driveway, fire lane, gate, trash bin, building access or any parked vehicle.
- If an area is not marked as a parking space, it is a no parking zone.
- Never park illegally and leave your hazard lights on. If the vehicle is parked illegally, it can be ticketed and/or towed.
You are responsible for your visitors while they are on the Missouri State University-West Plains campus. Your guests must abide by all campus parking regulations.
Visitors are always welcome at the campus. Visitors’ parking spaces are provided for University visitors only. Visitors may park in these spaces without the requirement of displaying a campus parking permit; however, visitors who park in other spaces just obtain and display a temporary parking permit. Temporary permits must be displayed on the dash of the automobile.
Only persons with a state-issued disabled parking permit or license plate may park in disabled parking spaces. Other persons will be ticketed. Persons with a state-issued disabled parking permit or license plate are not required to display an Missouri State University-West Plains hang tag.
Report a missing permit to the business office as soon as possible. A replacement permit may be purchased. Should the original permit be located during the period for which it was purchased, the price of the replacement permit can be refunded.
Any vehicle using a permit that has been reported missing, or using a permit that appears to have been falsified or altered, will be ticketed and a report will be sent to the coordinator of student life and development.
Parking Attendants are authorized to remove or impound, specifically including towing, vehicles on/from Missouri State University-West Plains' parking lots/structures or on/from other real property of Missouri State University-West Plains at the owner’s expense, under the following circumstances and subject to the following conditions:
- Any vehicle that appears to be abandoned or is not moved within 24 hours after a request to move or
- Any vehicle that is left unattended and its presence at the place, in the judgment of a Parking Attendant, constitutes or is likely to constitute a safety hazard to persons or property, or because of an emergency, or because the vehicle is obstructing traffic; or
- Any vehicle identified by the Parking Attendant as one which has been involved in three (3) or more violations where the person (employee, student or visitor) fails to pay the fine(s) and assessments for which parking tickets were issued during the previous twelve-month period.
Fines must be paid at the business office located in Cass Hall or may be mailed to Missouri State University-West Plains; Business Office; 128 Garfield Avenue, West Plains, MO 65775.
A fine must be paid or an appeal must be filed within 15 calendar days of the date the ticket was issued. (Please refer to the section entitled How to Appeal a Ticket).
Unpaid fines and assessments will be charged, after exhaustion of appeals procedures, to the student's/employee’s accounts receivable account. Failure to pay fines and assessments will subject a student/employee to:
- Encumbrance of student records and denial of the privilege to register for classes or obtain a transcript until all fines/assessments are paid in full;
- Appropriate disciplinary action or other action for faculty/staff through administrative channels and/or
- Collection procedures and costs, including interest, attorney's fees and withholding from final University paychecks;
- Three or more unpaid violations will result in suspension of your parking permit and renewal authorization.
A ticket may be appealed to the coordinator of student life and development within fifteen (15) calendar days of the ticket date on a form that is available from the student services administrative secretary in Lybyer Enhanced Technology Center room 207, from the coordinator of student life and development in Putnam Student Center or online at: Parking Ticket Appeal Form. The coordinator of student life and development will adjudicate all written appeals and will grant an appeal when it is clearly justified. The decision of the coordinator of student life and development will be final unless a second written appeal is submitted to the Parking Appeals Committee within fifteen (15) days of the coordinator's decision. The Parking Appeals Committee will schedule a time and date for the person appealing to appear before the Parking Appeals Committee and explain their appeal in person.
All fines are due and payable fifteen (15) calendar days from the date of denial of the last appeal. Any questions about the appeals process should be directed to the Campus Safety and Parking Committee through the student services administrative secretary at (417) 255-7255.
|Permit not present||$ 10.00|
|Altered/Stolen permit||$ 60.00|
|Parked in "No-Parking" zone||$ 10.00|
|Not parked wholly in space||$ 10.00|
|No Disabled permit||$ 60.00|
|Obstructing traffic||$ 10.00|
|Parked in Visitors’ space||$ 10.00|
All persons owning and/or operating a bicycle on the Missouri State University-West Plains campus shall observe and obey all applicable Missouri laws, City of West Plains ordinances, and Missouri State University-West Plains' rules and regulations.
Any person operating a bicycle shall observe all signs and control signals applicable to motor vehicles.
- Parking. Bicycles shall be parked in or immediately adjacent to the bicycle racks provided. When bicycle racks are available, bicycles shall not be parked on lawns, on sidewalks, or chained to trees, light poles, fences, benches, etc. Under no circumstances will bicycles be parked on ADA ramps. Bicycles improperly parked may be impounded by cutting and removing locking devices, if necessary.
- Bicycles that are considered to be abandoned will be removed by cutting the locking devices, if necessary, and impounded.
- Bicycles shall not be taken inside any University building unless specifically authorized by an appropriate University official. Students living in Residence Halls may secure permission to bring bicycles inside their House.
Authority and Responsibility
The chancellor of Missouri State University-West Plains, or his or her designate, is authorized, and it shall be his or her duty, to establish programs to administer and enforce these parking regulations.
Issuance of Citation for Violation of these Regulations
An Missouri State University-West Plains parking ticket for a violation of the approved parking regulations may be issued by safety officers on forms prescribed by Missouri State University-West Plains. A copy of the parking ticket will be delivered to each person at the time of issuance or, if the violation involves a vehicle without an operator or person in charge thereof, a copy of the parking ticket will be conspicuously affixed to the vehicle. Each parking ticket issued shall briefly state the substance of the violation and the monetary penalty for such violation. Each parking ticket will provide instructions for payment or appeal.
All fees collected as payments for parking violations shall be used for administering these parking regulations and the associated appeals process and for the operation, repair, improvements, and acquisition of University parking lots/structures. The Missouri State University-West Plains business office shall collect all fees and fines, and a record of all receipts and disbursements of this account shall be maintained.
These regulations may be approved, amended or rescinded in whole or in part at any time or from time to time by the Campus Safety and Parking Committee and/or the chancellor and/or the Board of Governors of Missouri State University.