Missouri State University-West Plains is a teaching and learning institution providing quality post-secondary education opportunities to the communities we serve.
Missouri State University-West Plains will be a national model among two-year, learning-centered institutions, combining open admission opportunity with academic excellence, student service innovation, community partnership and global awareness in an environment strengthened by dynamic growth and entrepreneurial spirit.
Overarching and Enduring Commitments
- Student Learning: Student learning is the primary goal of the University and the key indicator of our success. As a community of learners, we embrace learning outcomes that encompass liberal arts education, professional preparation and a concentration on public affairs and we pledge to support student learning in curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular contexts.
- Inclusive Excellence: Inclusive excellence is the recognition that an educational institution’s success is dependent on how well it values, engages and includes the rich diversity of faculty, staff and students with all the valuable social dimensions that they bring to the enterprise of higher education. Missouri State University shall demonstrate a comprehensive commitment to inclusive excellence, which will be reflected by policy, planning and actions throughout the institution.
- Institutional Impact: Institutional impact refers to the positive, enduring effects of the University’s work in the region and the state as well as to our broader contributions to knowledge and innovation. Essential to this commitment are focused activities in: economic and community development, community partnerships, basic and applied research concepts and advanced workforce development. As a major employer we also pledge to model ethical behavior with respect to people, resources and the environment.
University Community Principles
The community of scholars that is Missouri State University is committed to developing educated persons. It is believed that educated persons will accept responsibility to act in accordance with the following principles:
- Being open minded to embrace the benefits and richness that diversity and inclusiveness bring to the community of scholars and to recognize them as catalysts for educational excellence.
- Practicing personal and academic integrity. Being a full participant in the educational process and respecting the right of all to contribute to the “Marketplace of Ideas.”
- Treating all persons with civility, while understanding that tolerating an idea is not the same as supporting it. Being a steward of the shared resources of the community of scholars.