Missouri State University-West Plains puts students first by offering educational and extra-curricular activities, which provide opportunities to connect with others in the campus community and beyond, experiencing and contributing to a world broader than the one in which we currently live. Engagement with others both within and outside the classroom enables students to develop leadership skills and a love of learning which will last a lifetime.
Objective 1. Enhance campus facilities to promote student involvement
1a. Complete the Tuttle amphitheater
1b. Install spacing efficiencies in Garnett Library
1c. Explore ways the college bookstore can meet the changing needs of students and growth in enrollment.
1d. Create green spaces on campus
1e. Research availability of snack/beverage facilities to install on campus that do not require University funding such as a centralized student lounge with snacks/beverage bar
2016 Target: Increase usable square footage for student involvement and support (CH, DBSS, DDEV, LS, DAA, DSS).
2016 Target: Survey students to identify changes in campus facilities that would enhance the student experience and their satisfaction with current facilities (IR).
Objective 2. Encourage student connections with the campus community
2a. Expand the number of academic competitions, events, workshops and conferences
- Identify academic organizations to partner with students and faculty
- Launch the Dean’s lecture series
2016 Target: Secure grants to fund additional speakers (DAA, GDS).
2016 Target: Research the opportunity to join the National Council for Science and the Environment and engage student in opportunities provided by NRCS for national student internships in the sciences (DAA).
2016 Target: Increase attendance at Public Affairs conference (DAA).
2b. Increase volunteer and community service opportunities through expansion of internship, apprenticeship and volunteer/community service opportunities for students.
2016 Target: Specifically target expanded opportunities with the following organizations: Regional Chambers of Commerce, Ozark Action, Community Foundation of the Ozarks, South Central Ozark Council of Governments, Ozark Small Business Incubator, Ozark Medical Center, National Resource Conservation Service, Economic Development Office-City of West Plains and other related organizations (DAA, DSS, AA, DDE, TRIO, SGA).
2c. Develop intramural sports
2016 Target: Show increase in student participation in intramural sports by 5% per year from baseline of 0 (CSL).
2d. Emphasize general and thematic learning communities around the general education Student Learning Outcome categories of: Values, Global Awareness, Communication
2016 Target: Pilot one activity per academic year developed by the DAA and faculty (DAA, DSS, AA, DDE, TRIO, SGA).
Objective 3. Promote student interaction in a culturally diverse environment
3a. Continue to promote China internship program and evaluate present internship activities and satisfaction
2016 Target: Improve marketing and orientation of program to include more topic-focused visits to IDS classes, additional material on the Dalian experience and a video produced in collaboration with on-site interns and our ID/ Virtual Media staff (DAA, ADAA).
3b. Develop additional student exchange/internship programs
- Explore opportunities to expand international opportunities for students through the Missouri Community College Association international consortium.
- Explore other opportunities for service learning for VESTA students in collaboration with other universities
- Develop an international speaker’s series where international guests and experts are invited to campus to teach workshops and share perspectives on globalization and related international topics
3c. Expand use of technology to connect and interact with others
- Expand Chat with China program
- Connect with club and organization participants on other campuses using current and emerging technologies
2016 Target: Increase student participation in international opportunities from 23 in 2012 to 25 by target year – an increase of 10% (ADAA).
2016 Target: Increase the number of international opportunities for students from 4 to 6 by target year (ADAA).
3d. Provide additional culturally diverse programs
- Develop a series of events that highlights domestic and international cultural diverse groups
- Take West Plains students to MSU for a similar “International Night” activity
- Encourage students in the classroom to attend programming conducted by U/C Programs as an external learning experience
- Evaluate establishing ”Student Model United Nations” activity and send students to National Student Model UN conference
2014 Target: Conduct one “international night” per year, invite MSU students and personnel and West Plains community (DAA, DSS).
2014 Target: Conduct one event focused on domestic diversity per year (DAA, DSS).
2016 Target: Establish a series of domestic and international events that are offered at least one per semester (DAA, DSS).
3e. Develop opportunities that connect students with other students, staff and faculty of diversity
- Integrate Public Affairs with emphasis on expanded internships/service learning/experiential education/apprenticeships for all degree programs and student including AA and AAS;
- Include active participation of Instructional Designer and integrating new pedagogies/learning tool kits/activities as part of the experiential/public service learning experience
2016 Target: Ongoing and updated by continuous review of best practices in learning outreach, toolkits for faculty engagement with students and emerging and new relationships with community partners (DAA, LS, AA, DSS).
2016 Target: Provide three culturally diverse programs annually (CTE).
3f. Recruit diverse student groups
2016 Target: Achieve a 10% minority student population – Fall 2011 minority student population is 9.5% (DSS).
Objective 4. Improve student engagement
4a. Improve communication about events and activities
2013 Target: Conduct focus groups with students to determine best methods to reach students (CSL, DUC, SGA).
4b. Evaluate student perception of environment at Missouri State University-West Plains by continuing to participate in the Community College Survey of Student Engagement and use the results of the survey to inform practice
2016 Target: CCSSE survey completed every other year and the results rolled into IR reporting and annual assessment documentation and shared with appropriate faculty committees. (IR/DAA/SAAS/AA).
4c. Identify ways to involve students, faculty and staff in activities that occur outside the classroom
2016 Target: Increase student participation at U/C P events from 766 in 2012 to 1200 (DU/CP, CTE, CSL ).