Grade point average
A student's grade point average (GPA) is based only on courses completed at Missouri State University-West Plains. This GPA appears on the student's official Missouri State University-West Plains transcript. An overall GPA, based on work completed at Missouri State University-West Plains and in transfer, also is maintained by the office of registration and records. This overall GPA is used in determining a student's academic standing and eligibility for graduation.
The GPA is calculated by dividing the total grade points earned by the total credit hours attempted. The semester GPA is calculated by dividing the grade points earned for the semester by the credit hours attempted for the semester. See Grading and the credit point system below and Repeat Policy for more details on GPA calculation.
The distinction of graduating with honors will be granted at graduation if the student has attained a cumulative GPA of 3.4 or higher on Missouri State University-West Plains courses.
Students may view mid-term and final grades through My Grizzly Den. Grade sheets are not mailed to students. Students earning a 'D' or 'F' are notified through their University email. Students may request printed grade sheets from the office of registration and records.
Grades are awarded to indicate the quality of a student's work and are assigned as follows:
(point values per credit hour appear in parentheses)
- A (4.0) = Excellent work
- B (3.0) = Superior work
- C (2.0) = Satisfactory work
- D (1.0) = Minimum passing work
- F (0.0) = No credit is given
- W (0.0) = Course dropped without penalty
- P (0.0) = Course passed under the Pass/Not Pass system*
- NP (0.0) = Course not passed under the Pass/Not Pass system*
- I (0.0) = A small portion of a course not completed
- AU (0.0) = Audited with no credit
- XF (0.0) = Failure to do academic dishonesty