What is the TRiO Student Support Services program?
TRiO is a support system that helps students make a successful transition to college. Dedicated TRiO staff answer questions, monitor academic progress, arrange tutoring, help plan course selections and generally provide a friendly, encouraging environment for participants. Sutdent are encouraged to explore career options, visit four-year campuses, improve financial management skills and develop leadership skills as they plan for their futures.
Who is eligible for the TRiO program at Missouri State University-West Plains?
To be eligible to participate in the TRiO program, a student must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who is attending as a full-time, degree-seeking student. Students are considered to be full-time if they are registered for 12 or more credit hours for the semester.
Federal guidelines require that participants meet one or more of the criteria below.
- First Generation College Students If neither of the student's parents graduated with a bachelor's degree from a four-year institution, the student is considered a first-generation college student.
- Students from Low Income Families Family income must meet published Federal guidelines which are based on the family's taxable income and can be found on the Department of Education website. Most students who receive Pell grants are eligible for TRiO programs.
- Students with Disabilities Any student with a documented disability verified by the Coordinator of Disability Services is eligible to participate.
What services are provided by TRiO Student Support Services?
- Regular monitoring of student progress
- Tutoring by appointment
- Degree planning
- Referral to appropriate University and community services to promote retention
- Transfer planning and visits to four-year institutions
- Exploration of career possibilities
- Training to improve financial management skills
- Leadership opportunities
- Scholarships for eligible TRiO students
How do students apply?
Students who are eligible and wish to participate in the TRiO program must apply. Applications are available in the TRiO office.
Coordinator, TRiO Student Support Services
304 Garfield Avenue
West Plains, MO 65775
Phone: (417) 255-7941