Frequently Asked Questions About Student Activities

How do I find out about getting involved in a student organization?

There are several ways to join or find information about a particular organization. One way is to visit the student organization's website and contact the advisor or president. Information about all student organizations can be found at the student organizations website. The office of student life and development, (417) 255-7233, also sends an electronic Student Bulletin to all students on a weekly basis. By checking their University email account students can also find out when organizations are meeting and what activities they have planned. All students are welcome to join any organizations.

I don't quite fit in here. What can I do to meet some people who have similar interests to mine?

It is very easy to meet other people at Missouri State University-West Plains. There are clubs and organizations, activities and a student center that are all geared to showing students that there is more to college than just classes. A visit to the office of student life and development, (417) 255-7233, in Putnam Student Center will open doors for a student to meet other students. Students who are involved in clubs and activities often experience greater academic success. Many examples about how to become more involved can be found at the student life website.

How do I get permission to use the pool and fitness center at the West Plains Civic Center?

Students who are enrolled full-time at the University may use the pool and fitness center any time during normal operating hours. There is no additional charge beyond the $20.00 per semester activity fee paid by all full-time students. Note: students enrolled exclusively in online courses are not charged the activity fee; they may opt in and pay the fee.

Does Missouri State University-West Plains offer sports?

Yes, the University offers men’s basketball and women’s volleyball. These sports are affiliated at the Division One level with the National Junior College Athletic Association. The Grizzlies play full schedules each year against teams throughout the state and nation. Home contests are played in the West Plains Civic Center.

May I try out for one of the Grizzly teams?

Yes, you may, but keep in mind that exceptional athletic talent is required. Although the coaches recruit worldwide, preferential recruitment begins right here at home. Contact the head coach of the team you wish to consider. The coaches' offices, (417) 255-7993, are in the West Plains Civic Center.

What about cheerleading?

The Grizzly cheer team is among the very finest in the Midwest United States. Previous experience is preferred, but not required. A scholarship is provided. Interested students should contact Rachel Peterson, (417) 255-7978, in the office of admissions located in Cass Hall.

How do students get tickets to the games?

Tickets are provided free to all students enrolled at the campus. Pick up tickets at either the Drago College Store or the office of student life and development, (417) 255-7233, in Putnam Student Center. Also, please consider joining the student spirit club, Tri Lambda. Contact the coordinator of student life and development for details, (417) 255-7233.