Resources and Frequently Asked Questions

If there is an immediate threat, CALL 9-1-1 at any time (24 hours, 7 days a week)


Additional services are available throughout the community and region.  The link below provides you with a full listing of community resources.

Community Resources

Missouri State University-West Plains is a community of people with respect for diversity. The University emphasizes the dignity and equality common to all persons and adheres to a strict non-discrimination policy regarding the treatment of individual faculty, staff, and students. In accord with federal law and applicable Missouri statutes, the University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin (including ancestry, or any other subcategory of national origin recognized by applicable law), religion, sex (including marital status, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other subcategory of sex recognized by applicable law), age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law in employment or in any program or activity offered or sponsored by the University. Sex discrimination encompasses sexual harassment, which includes sexual violence, and is strictly prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.

This policy shall not be interpreted in a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces of the United States of America.

The University maintains a grievance procedure incorporating due process available to any person who believes he or she has been discriminated against. Missouri State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Minority/Female/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employer. Inquiries concerning the complaint/grievance procedure related to sex discrimination, including sexual harassment and sexual assault, should be addressed to the Title IX Coordinator, Carrington Hall 205, 901 S. National Ave., Springfield, Missouri 65897,, (417) 836-4252, or to the Office for Civil Rights. All other inquiries concerning the grievance procedure, Affirmative Action Plan, or compliance with federal and state laws and guidelines should be addressed to the West Plains campus, 128 Garfield, West Plains, Missouri 65775. Contact:

Or contact the Equal Opportunity Officer, Office for Institutional Equity and Compliance, Carrington Hall 205, 901 S. National Ave., Springfield, Missouri 65897,, (417) 836-4252, or to the Office for Civil Rights.

Frequently Asked Questions

When do I refer a student?

Students can be referred to the Grizzly Care Team when they seem to be struggling emotionally, academically, or otherwise. If you have noticed changes in a student’s behavior over time or if you notice a student appears withdrawn, sullen, upset or depressed, you may wish to consider referring that student. Additionally, if a student is engaging in aggressive or inappropriate behaviors or fails to comply with your requests, it is important you refer that student.

In some circumstances you may provide us with information about a student’s behavior that violates the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities. When appropriate, those cases will be referred to the Student Life and Development office. The conduct process is another way a student can receive assistance, referrals and follow-up.

It is important to know that you do not need to make this decision on your own. If you are concerned about when to bring a student to the attention of the Grizzly Care Team, just give us a call. We will provide consultation under all circumstances.

How do I refer a student?

You may refer a student by using the Concern/Incident Report to share your concerns. If you submit the form online, you will have the option of remaining anonymous. You may also call the Grizzly Care Line at 417-255-7255.

What happens after I refer a student?

Once we receive information from a concerned person, we may request additional information from that individual prior to contacting the student. When appropriate, a staff member will reach out to the student and invite them to meet. During the meeting, we typically provide the student with referrals and resources and offer additional follow-up.

Students exhibiting behaviors that may require further attention beyond resources and referrals may be discussed during a weekly Grizzly Care Team meeting. The team may make additional recommendations that will be facilitated via contact with the student. Some behaviors may violate the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities, in which case the Student Life and Development office will be notified, and their process followed in parallel with Grizzly Care Team interventions.

In extreme cases, students may be encouraged to withdraw from courses to focus on addressing their problems. It is the goal of the Grizzly Care Team to act out of care and concern with prevention in mind. The primary goal is to get students connected with resources and referrals before they start exhibiting signs of severe distress.

Will someone notify me about what actions have been taken and what the outcome will be?

We will gladly answer general and specific questions you may have. It is important to note that we may not be able to share all of the details or outcomes; however, we rely on you to contact us if you have questions. We recommend that, whenever possible, you wait approximately one week before contacting us with questions. There are some cases that are more pressing, so you can call us anytime you need information sooner.

When is it okay to share information about a student?

Although protecting a student's educational information is important there are situations when it is imperative to share information about a student.  If you have a question if the information you have should be shared, reach out to the Vice Chancellor of Student Services to determine the best course of action.

How do I know if it is a BIT issue or if it is more appropriately handled by other campus resources?

You do not have to make this determination; the Grizzly Care Team will do it for you. The most critical step is that you report any concerns using the Concern/Incident Report button. If another campus resource is more appropriate, the Grizzly Care Team will refer the matter and handle the transfer of information.

Typically, behaviors that pose a threat to safety or that cause a significant community disruption qualify as Concern/Incident Reports. It may also be appropriate to refer individuals to the Grizzly Care Team who are experiencing other mental health issues.

I don’t want the student to get in trouble, is being reported to the Grizzly Care Team punitive to students?

The goal of the Grizzly Care Team is to connect distressed individuals to the right resources.