Missouri State University-West Plains empowers students to achieve personal success and to enrich their local and global communities. As a two-year public institution, we provide accessible, affordable and quality educational opportunities.
Missouri State University-West Plains will be a model among two-year, learning-centered institutions, combining open admission opportunity with academic excellence and innovative student support in an environment strengthened by community partnerships and global awareness.
Institutional Strategic Priorities and Goals to Achieve Them
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Student Experience
For the complete articulation of these strategic priorities and as well as a listing and explanation of our goals to achieve the, see our Long-Range Plan.
Missouri State University-West Plains is a public, two-year, open admission, separately accredited campus of the Missouri State University System primarily serving students in the Missouri counties of Douglas, Howell, Oregon, Ozark, Shannon, Texas and Wright.
In addition to serving the educational needs of our service area, Missouri State University-West Plains provides programs to:
- Areas not served by Missouri’s other two-year institutions;
- Selected international campuses where educational opportunities benefit both regional and international students and
- The global community of students via traditional and emerging technologies.
Missouri State University‐West Plains was established in 1963 and is a public, separately accredited two‐year branch campus within the three‐campus Missouri State University system. In addition to the West Plains campus, the system includes a selective admissions university in Springfield and a research campus in Mountain Grove.
Consistent with the University mission, Missouri State University‐West Plains is a teaching and learning institution of higher education offering two‐year associate of arts, associate of science and associate of applied science degrees; certificates; and a variety of continuing education courses as needed by employers and citizens of the area served. The College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Educational Program Focus
Missouri State University-West Plains seeks to create educated persons through the development of their skills in communication, critical thinking, information management, valuing, global awareness and responsible action and knowledge in core subject areas.
Because of its commitment to learning and service, Missouri State University-West Plains:
- strives through ongoing assessment to improve educational outcomes by evaluating what students know, understand and can do with their knowledge as a result of their campus experience;
- hosts upper-level courses provided by the Missouri State University System leading to selected bachelor’s and graduate degrees;
- offers informal educational opportunities designed to enhance community life through cultural enrichment programs, regional economic development and customized training;
- promotes extracurricular learning opportunities for students, faculty, staff and community in areas such as intercollegiate athletics and student life and development activities and a variety of non-credit educational opportunities and
- develops educated persons of high character and integrity, inspiring them to serve others and their respective communities through its commitment to the Missouri State University System’s mission in Public Affairs.