Frequently Asked Questions About Advising

What is TRiO?

TRiO is a supportive community that helps eligible students make a successful transition to college and reach their goal of graduation. Students are encouraged to improve their study skills, explore career options, visit four-year campuses, improve financial management skills and develop leadership skills as they plan for their futures. To benefit from TRiO services, students must be a US citizen or permanent resident and attending as a full-time, degree seeking student. Additionally, federal guidelines require the participants meet one or more of the following criteria: Students who are First Generation college students, Students who meet family income guidelines, or Students with documented disabilities. Students who feel they meet the requirements of the program are encouraged to learn more at the TRiO website, or call (417) 255-7941.

Who is my advisor?

Every student is assigned an advisor. Students can find out who their advisor is by logging into My Grizzly Den. Under "My Enrollment" click on "My Advisor." There you will see your advisor's name and contact information. Students may also visit Advisement and Academic Coaching Center for Empowering Student Success (AACCESS), (417) 255-7222, in Melton 100 for further assistance.

Who can sign my registration form if I can't find my advisor?

If your advisor is a faculty member, please contact the Advisement and Academic Coaching Center for Empowering Student Success (AACCESS) at ((417) 255-7222 or in Melton 100 and they will be able to assist in completion of the form.  If your advisor works in the AACCESS office, one of the other advising professionals in that office will be able to assist.

I have taken classes in the past and I want to get started again. Where do I need to go?

The first step is to be readmitted to the University. The readmission application and information is available on the returning students page or by contacting the office of admissions, (417) 255-7955, in Cass Hall.

Where do I find out about testing dates and testing fees?

Visit the Advisement and Academic Coaching Center for Empowering Student Success (AACCESS), (417) 255-7222, in Melton 100 or locate information on the AACCESS website.

What advantages does the college-parent resource center offer that I can't get elsewhere on campus?

It is a safe place for your children to be with you while you study. It is a quieter place to study than the main tutoring lab. The college-parent resource center, (417) 256-2994, is located across from the West Plains Civic Center at 105 S.Curry.

What kind of support can I get at the Veteran's Incentive Program (VIP) Center?

Academic guidance, encouragement, a place to meet other veterans and relax in a very nice environment, as well as a room where you can interact with others who understand your past and how it is currently affecting you. The VIP center, (417) 255-7720, is located in the Garnett Library.