The purpose of this policy is to promote wellness, ensure a healthy work and educational environment and provide guidelines for tobacco use on Missouri State University-West Plains grounds and facilities. It applies to all tobacco products.
The Missouri State University System has for many years had a Tobacco Use/Smoking Policy that restricted smoking and the use of tobacco products on campus. Over the years, this policy has been modified with the goal of promoting the health of our campus citizens and visitors to the campus. In 2009 a number of groups on campus discussed the University Tobacco Use Policy, the health hazards contributed to tobacco use and second-hand smoke and considered potential changes to the policy. Rather than have individual groups working in parallel on this issue, the president of Missouri State University appointed one committee representing major campus constituencies to advise the administration and to make coordinated recommendations for any policy changes. The result from this presidential committee was a policy change following a two-year interim policy period which included educational and informational campaigns and the use of campus designated smoking locations. The interim policy was designed to transition to a new Tobacco Use Policy by August 15, 2012. Functioning under the leadership provided by Missouri State University-Springfield, Missouri State University-West Plains hereby adopts this same new policy, effective August 15, 2012.
- Policy (Effective August 15, 2012)
- Smoking and the use of tobacco products (including cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, cigars, pipes and other tobacco products) by students, faculty, staff and visitors are prohibited on all Missouri State University-West Plains properties except as set forth herein.
- The use of smokeless tobacco is prohibited at all locations on campus.
- The use of other tobacco products (including cigarettes, cigars, pipes and all other tobacco products) is prohibited at all times:
- In all interior spaces on the Missouri State University-West Plains campus including leased facilities;
- In all University vehicles, including buses, vans and all other University vehicles and vehicles leased by/to the University;
- In all other indoor and outdoor areas of campus not specifically identified in subsection III.D of this policy.
- Smoking and the use of tobacco products will be allowed only at the following outdoor locations:
- Inside of private vehicles located on University parking lots.
- The University prohibits the sale, distribution or free sampling of tobacco products on campus.
- The University prohibits the campus-controlled advertising of tobacco products on campus.
- Littering the campus with remains of tobacco products or any other disposable product is prohibited.
- Organizers and attendees at public events, such as conferences, meetings, public lectures, social events, cultural events and sporting events using University facilities will be required to abide by the University policy. Organizers of such events are responsible for communicating the policy to attendees and for enforcing this policy.
- Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Use Cessation Programs
Preventing smoking and increasing cessation rates to prevent heart disease and stroke shall remain a priority on the campus of Missouri State University-West Plains. Leading causes of death, such as lung cancer and COPD, could become relatively uncommon in future generations if the prevalence of smoking is substantially reduced. Assistance to students, faculty and staff to overcome addiction to tobacco products is available.
Adherence to the policy cited above is the responsibility of all University students, faculty, staff and visitors. It is expected that all students, faculty, staff and visitors to campus will comply with this policy. Members of our campus community are empowered to respectfully inform others about the policy in an ongoing effort to enhance awareness and encourage compliance. A complaint against a student who fails to respond to a request to comply with this policy may be reported to the dean of student services office. A complaint against an employee who fails to respond to a request to comply with this policy may be reported to a dean, director or supervisor. Refusal of University employees or students to comply with this policy may result in disciplinary action as set forth in the Employee Handbook and the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities.
Adopted by the Missouri State University-West Plains Administrative Council – April 16, 2012