High School Through Alternative Means

Missouri State University-West Plains seeks and welcomes applications from all qualified students, including students who have chosen to complete high school course work through alternative means. The two most common alternative means are: 1) completing a home-school curriculum that is the equivalent of a high-school diploma; and 2) earning a high-school diploma from a private school that has not received accreditation from the state or a regional accrediting association. Students who are 17 years of age or older and have completed high school by one these means may apply as degree-seeking students.

Students are encouraged to apply for admission early in order to complete all steps in the enrollment process and to allow time for any financial aid to be processed. Students should refer to the appropriate sections of the catalog for program admission requirements, including specific application deadlines. For students applying to programs that do not have an earlier deadline, it is recommended that students apply for admission by June 1 for the fall semester, November 1 for the spring semester and April 1 for the summer session.

Students beginning the process later than recommended above may not be able to accomplish the full enrollment process (application, orientation, register) before the first day of the semester and may need to wait to enroll for a subsequent semester.

If seeking financial aid, complete the FAFSA and scholarship application and submit any required supporting documents as early as possible to allow time for processing prior to the first day of the semester.

To apply for admission:

  • Submit an Application for Admission with the $15 application fee
  • Provide a high-school transcript from the high school or correspondence program vendor or documents from the parent required by Missouri State Statue 167.031 including courses/credits completed and date of completion, including the name of each class, the semester in which each class was taken, the amount of credit the class is worth and the grade received in each class. Additionally, we recommend that a cumulative GPA be included with each transcript.
  • Request a HiSET® or GED transcript be sent to the office of admissions directly from the state department of education in the capital city of the state in which tested
    • Missouri HiSET® and GED transcripts are accessible by the University directly from the department of education and do not require applicant request
  • Request official college transcript(s) if you are have or are currently taking any courses for college credit be sent to the office of admissions

While the ACT test is not used by Missouri State University-West Plains for admissions, it is used to determine placement of students in some classes; therefore, student should submit ACT scores, or they may arrange to take the ACT on the West Plains campus.

Freshmen who do not have English composition credits also will need to complete a University administered writing test prior to registration for classes or begin in developmental courses.