Sex Offender Registration and Community Notification

Under provisions of the Jacob Wetterling Crimes Against Children and sexually Violent Offender Registration Act (Wetterling Act), any person who is required to register under a state sex offender registration program must notify the state when he or she enrolls at an institution of higher education or is employed at such an institution, and must notify the state of any change in enrollment or employment at an institution of higher education. Sex offender registration information is to be transmitted from each state to the law enforcement entities where the registered sex offenders reside. In Missouri, the sex offender list is maintained at the county level.

Students at Missouri State University-West Plains may find this information by contacting their local Sheriff’s Office. For Howell County, the information may be found by visiting the Sheriff’s Office or by calling (417) 256.2544.

Voter Registration

As a Templeton Foundation Public Affairs Institution, Missouri State-WP strongly encourages students to vote. If you would like to register in another county or state, please contact the county court house in that county. They can provide information on registration procedures. You may also call the Office of the Secretary of State at (573) 751-4936 or on the web at If you are registered in another county and wish to vote by absentee ballot, be sure to request a ballot from the county clerk in your county in advance of the deadline. A number of notary publics are available on campus to notarize your ballot.