Formed in 1992 shortly after the opening of the Garnett Library, the Friends organization is a valuable link between the community and the University in helping to raise awareness of the services offered by the library and its needs. Members work diligently to ensure shelves are filled with current publications as well as keeping computerized instructional equipment updated to assist students with learning and faculty with teaching.
Times are Changing
A new era of learning is sweeping the nation - collaborative, life-long learning and online research. Libraries of the future will continue to be the heart of the University - they will simply function in a different way - less hushed voices, more technology and more active learning. Friends members are working to launch Garnett Library into this new era by creating an environment that stimulates and paves the way for research and learning. This updating will be completed in three phases. Phase 1 is complete and included installing compact shelving, increasing electrical and Internet access and creating collaborative learning centers. Under Phase 2, the reference and circulation desks will undergo structural changes.
Please help by pledging your support or making a donation to the Friends of the Garnett Library. A link to make a secure online gift through the Missouri State University Foundation is provided below. Select the "Friends of the Garnett Library" option to make your gift to this project.
Friends of the Garnett Library members support and promote the Garnett Library of Missouri State University-West Plains. The purpose of the organization is to:
- Encourage understanding and appreciation of the importance of the college library
- Build up a greater realization of the importance of the library to the future development of the college and the community
- Support and cooperate with the college library in developing library services and facilities for the academic community
- Attract bequests, endowments, gifts of books, manuscripts, money and other appropriate materials beyond the resources of the library budget and
- Lend legislative support where needed
- From 1992 through the end of June, 2012, over $392,000 in new books, resource materials, furnishings, computers and other equipment have been purchased for the Garnett Library thanks to the fundraising efforts of Friends of the Garnett Library and private donations.
- In its very first year, the Friends group provided the Garnett Library with its first Infotrac computer station and database for finding articles electronically.
- Computer servers and electronic databases acquired by Friends resulted in the first instance of 24/7 library service on the West Plains campus providing access to these services from the library, faculty offices and dorm.
- A major book fund campaign initiated by the Friends group in 1997-1998 brought in over $110,000 in donations; plaques displayed in the Garnett Library recognize the donors who participated at different giving levels.
- The number of books in the Garnett Library grew from approximately 15,500 volumes in 1993 to over 40,000 in 2010.
- In addition to new book purchases, Friends members continually raise awareness of the Garnett Library's needs, resulting in the donation of hundreds of books, CD's, DVD's and other resource materials from area residents each year.
- A rare books collection was established in the Garnett Library in 2000 thanks to the generosity of Friends Lifetime member Dr. Stanton Morrison.
The Friends of Garnett Library Fashion Show is held twice a year – once in the fall and again in the spring.