Need an Appointment?
Appointments are free of charge to students and alumni. Appointments are offered during university operational business hours except when offices are closed for holidays. Availability may be limited prior to and during career events.
If you are requesting an appointment for a class assignment, please schedule as soon as possible, because this high demand may limit the availability of appointment options. If you fail to schedule your appointment early, you may miss an assignment deadline.
If you are unable to attend your scheduled appointment time, please cancel your appointment. Students who consistently fail to show up for an appointment may not be allowed to self-schedule appointments for up to one semester.
Scheduling an Appointment
Students may schedule an appointment with Career Development Center staff on Handshake using the steps outlined below.
- Log into Handshake. Click on the 'Career Center' drop-down menu and select 'Appointments'. If you are using the mobile app, select 'Account', 'Career Center', and then 'Appointments'.
- Choose a Category and then select an Appointment Type based on your needs.
- The following screen will display available dates and times upon the category and appointment type. You will be able to select an appointment medium (in-person or Zoom). Select your preferred appointment date and time.
- The next screen will display the details of your appointment and a pre-appointment survey. All field marked with an asterisk (*) are required fields to schedule your appointment. You will receive an email notification from Handshake when your apppointment has been approved. You also will receive email reminders of your appointment to your university email address.
If you are unable to make an appointment online or select an option that fits your schedule, call our office at 417-255-7230.
Types of Appointments
When scheduling an appointment, please specify the category and appointment type you need. Each option includes a brief definition. In 'Help Requested', include information on your specific needs. Appointment Types include:
- Career Counseling & Assessments/Career Planning
- Career Documents (résumé reviewal, cover letter, supporting documents)
- Interview Preparation/Mock Interview
- Transfer College Process
- Career Exploration/Off Campus Job Search
Preparing for Your Appointment
If you are having career documents reviewed, please provide the documents via email to the Career Development Center prior to your appointment time. Please be prepared to take notes during all Appointment Types. When you make an appointment, please provide as much information as possible on the pre-appointment survey. The more information you can provide on the pre-appointment survey, the more helpful it wll be for the staff member meeting with you. If your appointment medium is via Zoom, a staff member will email the Zoom link to your student email address.
Day of Scheduled Appointment
If you have an in-person or Zoom appointment, please be prepared on time so you get the most benefit from the meeting. If you have not arrived within 15 minutes, your appointment will be cancelled and designated as a "No Show."
If you need more time than is allotted for the appointment, you may schedule another appointment. There is no limit to the number of appointment you can schedule.