Assignment and Removal of Incomplete Grades

In each instance where an 'I' grade is assigned, the course instructor shall, at the end of the semester in which the 'I' grade is given, indicate on an Assignment of Incomplete Grade form what the student must do to complete the course and how the completed work would affect the final grade. The original copy must be filed with the office of registration and records, which will then distribute copies to the student. If a student needs to repeat a course or a significant portion of a course, a grade should be assigned according to regulations governing the assignments of such grades. A 'W' grade may be assigned if the student has officially dropped the course within the semester deadlines.

An 'I' grade must be removed by the end of the following semester (excluding summer) or earlier as specified by the instructor; otherwise, the 'I' automatically becomes an 'F' grade. An extension of the time limit or other necessary arrangements to remove an 'I' grade will be made only if a written request for such extension is approved by the instructor and the academic dean. An approved request for extension of time for removal of an 'I' grade must be placed on file in the office of registration and records. The student should make arrangements with the instructor for the completion of the work. When the work is completed, the instructor will complete a Grade Change Authorization form in the office of registration and records. The student will be sent a copy of the form with a grade report indicating the adjusted grade point average.

For Graduates Only

An 'I' grade assigned during the semester or summer session of graduation should be removed prior to mid semester or July 15th for summer session. Failure to meet this deadline will result in the official date of graduation, being delayed to a later semester.